Monday, September 1, 2008

Palin

It pains me that now (well at least for the next few months) when the name Palin is mentioned I shall be filled with hope that someone is discussing the wonderful Michael Palin, only to discover that in fact they are referring to that horrible Sarah Palin.

I can't help feeling the same way I did when Julie Bishop became the Deputy Leader of the Opposition: horrified. I know I should be thrilled that there is a woman being chosen to fill these important roles, but all it does is remind me that it is still a thrill that women are chosen, and how far we have to go before it will stop being a thrill. Also, why must every woman rising to important positions such as these be the subject of so much scrutiny? I know it happens because I indulge in it. Constantly. For example, I can probably rattle of more information about Sarah Palin than I can about her decrepit ticket-mate John McCain, despite him having been the presumptive nominee for the Republican Party since February.

In the case of Sarah Palin, it is also her abhorrent stance on all the issues that are important to me: abortion, gun control, environmental protection, etc. I mean she is a member of Feminists for Life, which despite its name is actually less to do with being a feminist for life, and more to do with being a right-wing reactionary asshole. So there's that.

Feminists for Life strike me as particularly horrifying due to their completely shameless adoption of the much-maligned 'feminist' tag.* I think this is the difficulty in choosing a position on an issue, that when others you detest take the same position, or in this case, even worse, co-opt the word 'feminist' for their completely anti-feminist organisation, you feel less affinity with said position. Except in my case, when I just get mad, and try and work out how I can make them stop claiming the term feminist, or wearing that Amnesty International badge (looking at you Ruddock).

Once I work it out I'll be sure to let y'all know.

*note: not maligned by Lady Grey, simply maligned by a lot of people who LOVE the status quo.

No comments: